The Cleveland Hockey Booster club was established in 1948. Originally the booster club was the official booster club of the Cleveland Barons. In 1972, the club became the Cleveland Crusaders Booster Club. We were named that until 1976. We then called ourselves the Cleveland Barons Booster club till 1978 when the team left Cleveland.
After the departure of the Barons, Cleveland went 14 years without a hockey team. The club then officially became the Cleveland Hockey Booster Club to show that in spite of having no local team to support the club would remain intact.
In 1992, the Cleveland Lumberjacks came to town. The club became their official booster club but elected to keep our name generic to reflect our support of all local hockey. The Lumberjacks folded in 2001 and another team was brought in to Cleveland. This new team was once again named the Barons and remained in Cleveland until 2005. There was a year gap between the Barons departure and the arrival of the Lake Erie Monsters.
Since 2015 the Monsters have been affiliated with the Columbus Blue Jackets and in 2016 the Lake Erie Monsters won the Calder Cup. (Be sure to share your favorite memory from that game with other members you meet.) 2017 introduced us to the newly named Cleveland Monsters team.
The CHBC [a 501(c)(3)non-profit organization] is the official booster club for the Monsters and works closely with the hockey club to support their charitable endeavors.
Did you know this?
- We have an annual scholarship program for graduating high school senior hockey players. (2016-17 we gave to 5 deserving students.)
- Donating to charities near to the hearts of both the booster clubs' membership and also the Cleveland Monsters Community Fund is on the top of the list of items we do outside of the club.
- Our members volunteer at a wide variety of local organizations. As well as participating in many charitable Cleveland area events.
- We sponsor children each year to participate in local hockey camps. Including the Monster's Learn to Play program.
- A membership to our club cost less than a full tank of gas and ours lasts all year :)